From The Dooky Chase Cookbook
- 1 pound red kidney beans
- 2 quarts water
- 1 large onion chopped
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 pound smoked ham cubed
- 1 pound smoked sausage in ½ inch slices
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 table spoon chopped parsley
- 1 teaspoon whole thyme leaves
- 2 level tablespoon salt
- Pick through beans, removing all bad beans or any other particles.
- Wash beans well.
- Place beans in a 5 quart pot.
- Add the 2 quarts of water.
- Add onions and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and let beans boil slowly for an hour.
- When beans are soft stir well, mashing some against side of pot.
- Heat oil in frying pan; add ham and sausage.
- Sauté in oil for 5 minutes.
- Then add the sausage, ham, and oil to beans.
- Deglaze pan with the cup of water, then pour into beans.
- Add all other ingredients.
- Let simmer for 30 minutes.
- Beans should be nice and creamy.
- Serve over rice.